Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hooah!

Oh goodness. My best military wife Hooah! moment?

I don't know if I have one single Hooah! moment that stands above the rest. It's usually a bunch of small moments that get me through the particular situation I am in. Often it's doing something I didn't think I'd be able to do until I had no choice but to do it.

Like shoveling 16 inches of snow for three days straight and getting to work on time each day.

Or getting the lawn mower started for the first time this spring (and multiple times since!).

Or maybe getting on to Fort Riley with the wrong insurance card in our truck during our first year of marriage. It was my first time trying to get onto a military installation without The Man, I was already nervous, had driven 15+ hours to see him and then we had the wrong card in the truck. Not only did I get it straightened out and get onto post, I also found my way without getting lost. An added bonus? You can check out our vehicles now and I guarantee they have the correct insurance card!

Outside the gates of Ft. Riley.
Maybe it was getting home safely after sending The Man off on our first deployment. I'll never forget watching him get on that plane. I stared out the window as I watched the plane taxi down the runway and take off. At that moment, it seemed like an eternity before I'd see him again. If I saw him again. I didn't think I could even get back home. Or wanted to go home. So, I sat down in the airport and cried. After awhile, I picked myself up and drove home. And here we are, three years later already!

Perhaps, my best Hooah! moment is that I never forget the sting of letting him leave and the joy of when he returns. It makes me love The Man in ways I never would have without our time apart. We treasure our moments together because we don't know how long we'll have them. I don't think most civilian marriages have the privilege of loving fiercely like military marriages do.

God gives us the opportunities and it's our job to make the most of them with the confidence that He is by our side:
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen.  If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me." Jeremiah 29:11-13.

Hebrews 11 is my rock in these times. Each success at the seemingly impossible moment makes me stronger and ready to tackle the next mission.

So, bring it on, Army.

Bring. It. On.

Hooah!

***

Join us in the Wives of Faith Military Spouse Appreciation Blog Carnival! Find the topics HERE!

3 comments:

  1. Jer 29:11 and Heb 11 are 2 of my favorite scriptures too! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting! I love the blog carnival, it's so much fun! I tried posting a comment a few times at your blog but it won't let me - so just know that in your post for today, I was cheering you on. I love the feeling after pulling out the toolbox and google and tackling a project when my husband is gone - plus I'm excited for your daughter to have such a great example. Hooah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. And Amen, Sister. =)

    I also love how our time apart gives us that "didn't know what you had till it was gone" realizations without having them actually gone from our lives, just gone to long periods of training/deployment. Its hard but good. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete