Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Army Wives

Who doesn't love a coming home ceremony? Plus...who had the brilliant idea to guest star Susan Lucci? I love this show.

Maybe I should be ashamed to admit this, but I love Lifetime's show, Army Wives.

There isn't another show, ever, that I have been more into.

As the wife of an Active Duty Army National Guardsman, I live my Army Wife Life through this show. Before I get too carried away, I do realize that it's just a tv show. Don't worry, I don't think that it's exactly what life on post is like. However, there are a few things I like to think that I would take advantage of if I lived on post - here is a list of my top five:

MWR
Ah shoot. I'm using acronyms already! For my non-military friends MWR stands for Morale, Welfare and Recreation. What a resource! I think if I lived on post, I'd get a job in the MWR office. Or at least volunteer. There are always ideas, perks and opportunities to be found. I have found online MWR programs aren't as easy to navigate as just going into a physical office. We've used MWR facilities while on vacation or while visiting for various reasons and they've always been a favorite stop.

Exchange and Commissary
I've heard many grumbles about the BX/PX and Commissary. I just can't imagine beating some of the products and prices without going to a mall. I'm not a mall shopper, or much of a shopper at all. Which is maybe why I like shopping there. Or perhaps they pump something through the air to make it more attractive for us non-posties. Although the Exchange may not be Wal-Mart or Target, at some of the larger stores I think the quality and pricing makes it better than the chain big box stores. Where else can you find low-end and high-end products mingling together (think Kathy Ireland and Coach). Where else do you find that?

I can't speak much for the Commissary, but I've had a few good experiences and usually walk away pleased.

Common Understanding
All of you military wives living in a civilian world know what I'm talking about. It's when someone at church or the grocery store or at work walks up to you and is so surprised that your husband is gone, again. This is where living vicariously through the show Army Wives has me the most jealous. Honestly, I get really sick of explaining where my husband is this time around. I feel like I'm listening to a broken pity record...Oh it must be so hard for him to be away...So you Skype every night?...Call me if you need anything....And the list goes on, and on. I feel bad getting upset about it because I know every non-military person in my life means well. I just have an appreciation for those military people who are in my life who just get it. No million questions about Skype. No feeling sorry for me. No pity party. Just a common understanding.

Adventure
I can't imagine moving every three years. However, I can imagine living in different places. I am grateful to be close to family. Please do not mistake that for appreciating the adventure that a military career can offer someone willing to look at it as an adventure.
Appreciation
I think what I'm missing most is a full appreciation for all types of active duty military families. I haven't had to leave my family, my home, and everything familiar so I don't fully understand what sacrifices they have had to make. I think I could be more empathetic and maybe more understanding to the needs of a military family. I also think that might help me be a better community member no matter where I live.

Is there anything else that you'd add to this list? Or that maybe I'm way off base on? I'd love to hear more, just try to keep it positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment