Saturday, April 21, 2012

Black Thumb Gardener




We have so many plants they're spilling out of the greenhouse and
onto the front porch until it's warm enough to stay outside full time.
The plants must have attracted this little friend that I had to shoo off of our porch!
Gardening  is one of those things that I'd really like to love, but I just don't. At least not yet.

I don't mind pulling weeds or harvesting. I enjoy using the garden harvests in my cooking. I really enjoy biting into a freshly picked juicy warm tomato.

But to get to that tomato, you must tend the plants. It's the part I least like.

The Man left on his latest work adventure in a hurry. Which left me to care for his plants that were not Jolene-ready. The Man is a plant genius. He could spend hours on end doing who knows what with his plants. I'm more of the throw-some-water-on-and-get-on-with-the-next-task kind of gardener.

He frequently asks how each plant is doing and I honestly don't know. I do know that our greenhouse is beginning to look like the movie Jumanji. It's scary. I swear the plants grab me when I step inside!

Our Bible study group has been trying to implement some community outreach programs and Phil and I are taking on the first task. We brainstormed and came up with gardening for the local food pantry. A sort of community garden - but instead we care for a single garden at our church and then deliver the harvest to those distribution networks in the community to help the food insecure.

Because I try to feed my family healthier, whole foods, this is something I can get on board with even though it might mean me planting some seeds and caring for more plants temporarily. If it means more people in our church community have access to a fresh tomato, I think it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment