Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How I get my dog to behave!

When I get stressed out, I cook. I love trying new recipes, but often I fall back on those recipes that always seem to work. I rarely make a recipe as written...I don't know why I need to mess with it, but I do!

Last week the weather wasn't great, The Boy wasn't in a great mood and I knew we were in for a long day so I decided to make Odin's all time favorite treats from this blog (with a few small adaptations!).


Whole wheat and all purpose flours, brown sugar, salt and flaxseed meal into the mixing bowl. I'd recommend using a stand mixer, this is a hearty dough.



Add your eggs, peanut butter (does your dog lick the container when empty too?), oil and finally water until it comes together. I usually need about 1 1/4-1/2 cups.

Let it rest.

Seriously. It's much easier to work with. Wash your dishes while you wait!

Roll that dough out (I don't even use flour, there's enough oil or something to keep it from sticking too much!). I work in two batches. Use your muscles!

I like to do one of 1x1 inch squares cut using my ruler and pizza cutter. Then I do a few fun shapes with the cookie cutter. I usually share the fun shaped ones with doggie friends.

Odin is a DREAM when I make him cookies.

Can you believe he is lying on the FLOOR? Not even on the rug. On the floor...In. The. Kitchen. No couch potato when there are cookies being made!

I love making him treats because he is on his best behavior for at least a day. He brings me things that he thinks needs to be picked up. He shuts the door immediately after coming in from outside. It almost makes me want to bake him cookies every day!

Plus I had another helper...he found my measuring cup, cooling rack, all the important stuff!



Ohh the final results! Odin HATES this trick, but he loves the biscuits so much, he's willing to do it!

Here's the full recipe for you. Your dog will love you! It makes enough to share with friends too.


Peanut Butter Dog Biscuit Recipe
Adapted from White on Rice Couple Blog

2 3/4c Whole Wheat Flour
2 3/4c All-Purpose Flour
2TB Brown Sugar
1tsp Salt
3TB flaxseed meal (optional)
3 eggs
1c Peanut Butter
1/3c Vegetable Oil
1 1/4c Water

1. Combine flours, brown sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and peanut butter and mix until incorporated.
2. Mix in oil. Next add enough water until dough is smooth and workable.
3. Cover the dough and set aside for 15-20 min. to relax.
Preheat oven to 375ยบ F & line a couple sheet pans with baking paper
4. Roll out dough to about 3/8″-1/2″ thick. Cut to desired shaped then put on sheet pans.
5. Bake for approx. 35-40 min. or until biscuits are slightly browned and fairly hard (they will harden a touch more when cool.) Set aside to cool then treat the pups liberally.

No comments:

Post a Comment