Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tree of Life Creative

I struggled with creating a business name for myself for years. I do freelance graphic design, public relations, marketing and photography. It wasn't until recently that I got serious. So serious that I'm actually getting paid. Which made me think I had better get a name.

I believe that a name is important. Case in point, I didn't want to name The Boy until after I first met him. Some people fall in love with a name and know that it's perfect for their unborn child. I've even heard people referring to their unborn child by name. I admire those people. I couldn't do it.

I ruminate on things. But I especially ruminate on names. Chewing them. Spitting them. Swallowing them. Spitting and chewing some more.

We had 41+ weeks to decide on a name for our baby and while I was in labor we were still going over names (partly because I lost the list, but mostly because I didn't want to choose a name and it not fit my baby!). Had I not wanted to deal with pages of paperwork out of the hospital, I may not even have a name for The Boy yet!

Choosing a business name has been similar. I didn't even know what it was I was doing, so how could I name it? Instead I realized the work I do fulfills something in my heart that nothing else does. Sorry fam! That desire could only be described in one of my favorite verses:

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

I draw my daily inspiration and strength from our magnificent Creator, and this proverb seemed to mimic what happens when the longing in my heart is met by creating something from nothing. I can't even take credit for it. God alone is the one who gave me this ability.

Truthfully, I wish I had the ability to stitch up a bleeding person, or have serious skills with power tools so I could build homes for homeless people, or write novels that drive people to Jesus. But I don't. I don't even communicate like a normal person. But I do have this skill and I hope that I allow God to show His love in the purest and truest form through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment